4Ocean and the issues of plastic ingestion for marine life Posted on 24 Oct 10:47 , 0 comments
4Ocean is a Florida based for-profit charity that is helping to clean-up our oceans and coastlines by pulling 1lb of trash for every 4Ocean Bracelet that is purchased. They are on a global mission to raise awareness of the need to restore the balance in the ocean as well as highlight a particular cause each month to bring to people attention the dangers that certain marine animals face today.
One of the big issues in the ocean today is the level of plastic that has been dumped there. Due to the nature of plastic and the extended time it takes to decompose this causes great problems for sea creatures and their natural habitat. On a basic level, vast levels of plastic is finding its way into their daily diet. At least 267 different species are known to have suffered from entanglement or ingestion of marine debris.
- 86% of sea turtles have suffered from plastic ingestion
- 36% of sea birds have suffered from plastic ingestion
- 23% of seals have suffered from plastic ingestion
- 86% of sea turtles have suffered from plastic entanglement
- 28% of seals have suffered from plastic entanglement
- 16% of sea birds have suffered from plastic entanglement
If you would like to support the 4Ocean global movement to remove trash from the ocean and coastlines, then please buy a 4Ocean bracelet: 4Ocean Bracelet