The 4Ocean shark bracelet and popular myths about sharks Posted on 25 Jul 15:41
The 4Ocean Bracelet cause for July is shark awareness. This limited edition bracelet, like all 4Ocean bracelets, funds the removal one pound of trash from the ocean and coastlines as well as supports sharks in partnership with ProjectAWARE. In order to promote a better understanding of these animals 4Ocean have addressed some of the bigger myths about sharks:
- Sharks are all man-eaters? Humans are friends NOT food. Sharks involved in incidents with humans happen because sharks are often hunting for similar-sized prey, i.e.. seals & dolphins.
- All sharks are big with lots of sharp teeth? Sharks vary i size and shape (8in to 40ft). Not all sharks have a mouth full of large teeth. Basking sharks and whale sharks feed on krill and other forms of plankton.
- Sharks are not important? Sharks maintain the delicate balance of life. They keep other marine animal population in check. Feed on sick/weak marine life and this helps prey populations stay healthy.
- Nothing can hurt sharks? Populations are in rapid decline and are impacted by illegal, unreported, and unregulated fishing. Sharks mature slowly and produce relatively few young. Populations can’t replenish fast enough.
- Sharks attack people often? There were only 4 shark-related human deaths in 2016, compared 100 million sharks killed annually by people.
If you would like to show your support for sharks, help support stars with ProjectAWARE and help clean-up the ocean and the coastlines, then buy a 4Ocean shark bracelet here: ocean Shark Bracelet